Welcome to another Burf update, and Merry Christmas to you. I did try to do a November update but boy have I been busy. Time has flown by which means it’s a busy time for kids and social events on the run-up to Christmas.
So what have I been up to, well I think a lot for once however I will chuck them out in order they come to mind.
So Compsoft hosted another DevCon at work and we had a good turnout. I took a range of robotic stuff I had and managed to build the Arduino IOT house kit while I was there which was great.
Burf.co & HiddenWeb.co.uk
So I am having a bit of a move around, Burf.co is going to become my robotics area focusing on the crazy stuff I build. HiddenWeb.co.uk is now the search engine part of Burf.co which will have a new design soon and maybe even a purpose soon. Burf.co is now hosted by my friend Adrian 🙂
The Electric Motorbike Project
So the previous update to this freaked me out a bit because I knew I had made some videos of my progress however they were not on the last blog post. Turned out I did them a few days after the post. The main update is my 3D printer has been a right pain in the arse and I have had so many failed prints. It turns out the 3D Pinter head was nearly falling off, plastic was coming out of all sorts of places and I hate PETG. I did manage to do a couple of tests.
Once I have the motor strapped down, I am going to test it out outside.
Autonomous Car: Deep Learning & Computer Vision for Beginners
Completed the initial course 🙂 Whoop Whoop! I really enjoyed doing this course and even made some improvements to the final project. Now I plan to expand it to work in a real car
CTO / Digital MBA course.
I am 78% through this which is pretty epic. I am taking a pause this week because of all the saved links I need to read. Each video you do has around 3-5 useful links/articles etc to read however I have built up quite a backlog.
Hmm, it’s Christmas, I am up 2kg and so I need to burn that off in Jan
I have started to do a little bit in the last 2 weeks and got an online course to help kick-start the brain. I tried to help my sons with their maths homework and realised I really need to get better.
InMoov Humanoid Robot
I have fired this up again in the last few weeks and I am upgrading the laptop that it runs on. I have plans for this (before I nearly blow up the laptop)
I am trying not to play with this until after Christmas however, I did put the bumper back on.
Playing with Hoverboard motors
So, as I have a few spare hoverboards that I got cheap, I read that you can re-program the controller so that you can control the board in lots of different ways, including via an Arduino. Brilliant I thought, perfect, the hoverboard motors are super powerful! I did manage to reprogram the board, and I did manage to nearly blow up my laptop and I did manage to cook an Arduino! It turns out that the place you plug it in runs very high voltage (instead of 3-5, it’s 15!) which can blow up my Arduino and cook the USB port in my old Mac. I was lucky it wasn’t a lot worse!
A cheaper and easier option is to buy a motor controller for about £12 that will do the job for you without burning your house down e.g https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BBSYD3X5?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Playing with LIDAR
So ages ago, I bought a super cheap Lidar system of Aliexpress thinking it had to be fake as it was so cheap. It was about 1/5th the price it should be. Turns out it works
Reviewing the Plan AGAIN
I feel I have achieved quite a bit over the last month however, I still want to achieve more and I only have 20 days to see what else I can do.
- Goal 1: Progress with my MBA (61% to 78%, original target to finish by May 24, likely Jan)
- Goal 2: Continue with self-driving courses (Complete!)
- Stretched Goal 3: Spend some time at Khan Academy on Algebra and Geometry (Started)
- Goal 1: Work on the electric motorbike project (Tested motor twice, more coming)
- Goal 2: Finish the Inmoov robot and fix the issues listed above so that the robot can be demonstrated to people. (Making slight progress)
- Stretched Goal 3: Decide what to do with Burf.co Search Engine, it’s getting a chunk of traffic but what’s the point/plan? (Moved and have some ideas, the main thing is to focus on robotics)
- Goal 1: Get Fit and less fat! 85-90KG (at 92.5KG ongoing)
Goal 2: Load the Truck with tech and have it ready for camping (Paused till summer)
- Goal 3: Carry on being a Governor (Ongoing, however, relaxing a little on this)
- Stretched Goal 4: Get a shed and put lighting in the loft (Lights done, shed still debating)
So I plan to do a end of year update and set out next year. I think the 2 things I would like to achieve in the next 20 days are
- Test the electric motorbike outside to see if it can move me
- Try out a Matrix motors via an Arduino (needed for my self-driving ideas)
- Do a little bit more maths