Welcome to another monthly update, I hope the start of your year is going well. So off the top of my head, February does not feel like a productive month. I can’t pull out much that makes headlines. I lost at least 1 week to car (Jeep) issues, another morning to Governor duties, and so on.
So my father and I bought a Jeep (secondhand) to take the kids out more, my current car only has 4 seats and as I have 3 kids we always needed to take 2 cars. This has turned into a nightmare and has already wasted 2 of my Wednesdays (viewing it, picking it up) however I am sure something good will happen. This is not a project just a pain in the arse!
So I am proud to say I am now a Governor for my kid’s local schools (notice schools, not school). I wanted to give back and try and be useful somehow however this got a be mixed up and I am now a Governor of 3 schools. The workload so far has been more than expected however it’s around learning what goes on and training. I am honestly hoping I can be helpful but balance this out with the robotics stuff.
So my epic neighbour gave me his old Micra which was lovely. It’s not moved for years so the idea was to get it back on the road and see how I can go with making it drive itself. Well at least detect the road etc. This had its MOT today and failed on 1 tire, however by the end of the day, that should be done.
So if you read last month’s update and have read the above, you would be correct in thinking I am massively failing in being focused. The first 3 items seem to be nothing to do with the focused plan from last month! Let’s review last month’s main points
InMoov Humanoid Robot
So I hope to do some work on this today however progress has been made on this.
- The front neck piston is fixed
- The head roll now works
- A new more powerful power supply has been fitted (6v 60 amps)
- I have fixed the shoulder joint that broke
- The lower torso is now working
- Made custom cables for it
- I also created and 3D printed an object to raise the Inmoov up as the arms were hitting the base.
- The right arm now has an issue that needs investigating
So left to do is fix the XY eye moment (or replace it), finish a little wiring, and configure the software.
Red Inmoov Head
This was probably my favorite project last year however it always bugged me that the sound feedback was terrible and the jaw didn’t work properly. I decided to try and fix this and it’s now a lot better. It’s stopped using the Burf.co chat API which I need to fix.
Mobility Scooter / Electric Wheelchair
So my PS2 controller sensor turned up from China which meant I was able to use it with my little Arduino project. It works pretty well now and can control the wheelchair
Very little progress was made here and I need to work on fixing that.
Autonomous Car: Deep Learning & Computer Vision for Beginners
Nothing was done, again I need to work harder to get this done
Now that it is easy to deploy, I have been doing some vital bug fixes for it.
I have started running again which can only be a good thing 🙂
Defining some goals and staying to them
So it’s the 1st of March and I think I have made some good progress over the last 2 months however there has been a lack of focus and life has thrown in some issues. Life will always get in the way but I can try and reduce the noise and lack of focus.
- Goal 1: Finish the Inmoov robot and fix the issues listed above so that the robot can be demonstrated to people. This is not far away and has been my main focus!
Goal 2: Remove the grounding issue from the Red Inmoov robot. Goal 3: Add paging to Burf.co and update the database. Done Goal 4: Create a demo of controlling the Electric wheelchair with a PS2 controller. Done
- Goal 5: Create a demo of controlling the mobility scooter with a PS2 controller (reducing to low priority)
- Goal 6: Spend some time at Khan Academy on Algebra and Geometry. (increasing the priority to medium)
- Goal 7: Do something around self-driving with the Micra else sell it. (high)
- Goal 8: Continue with self-driving courses (medium)
- Goal 9: Improve Burf.co Chat API (low)
Reviewing the list from last month (above), things are looking pretty good. One goal has been added around the Micra however if I do not set one, it’s a waste of money and needs to be sold.