In November I was invited to go to the World Robot Olympiad in Kuala Lumpur as a LEGO Robotics Expert and to show off the LEGO Wheelchair. It was being held at the Sunway Pyramid Convention center on the 9th to the 11th of November. This was a huge honour and a chance in a lifetime experience!
Other fantastic LEGO MINDSTORMS enthusiasts where also at the event including:
- NeXTStorm and his amazing boxing robots
- Bazmarc and WallE
- Mathias Paul Scholz with his robot shadow puppet theatre and NXT biker gang
- Mark Crosbie and his SoundMachine
- David Gilday and Mike Dobson with their Guinness world record holding Rubiks cube solvers
- Will Gorman with his 3D Lego maker bot and Mars Curiosity rover
- Lasse Laussen and Ken Madsen with their flying Lego blimp C5
During the 3 day event, I would estimate over 250 children had a go on the LEGO Wheelchair.
we also spent the day with some refugee kids from Burma as part of the Dignity for Children foundation. We got to show them our LEGO models and teach them how to use the LEGO MINDSTORMS system. At the end of the day, the LEGO Foundation was extremely nice and gave each school some free LEGO (quite a bit actually). The children really seemed to enjoy their selves
Bazmarc’s beautiful video of the event (watch this!):
My Flickr stream:
Mark Crosbie fantastic write-up of the event: